Healthy Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
So I had a butternut squash sitting on our countertop for ages (they stay good for a few months if stored properly!) but I seriously needed to do something with the thing. So I searched for some fun recipes online and decided on this awesome butternut squash mac n cheese from Cooking Light. Let me tell you – it was DELICIOUS!!!!!! I actually added some grilled chicken and cayenne pepper, which made it even healthier (protein is obviously good for you, and spicy foods rev up your metabolism). It makes plenty (8 servings), and freezes well.
- 3 cups peeled, cubed BN squash (I hated peeling this thing, sorry I have no tops for you here!)
- 1 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 TBSP fat free plain greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c grated pecorino Romana Cheese
- 1/4 C grated Parmigiano-Reggiana Cheese, divided
- It called for Gruyere cheese, but I just used mozzarella
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb pasta (I used whole wheat spirals)
- Chicken (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degree
- Place squash, broth, milk and garlic in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medum-high heat. Once it has boiled, reduce to a simmer (medium heat) until squash is tenter when pierced with a fork (about 25 mins). Remove from heat.
- Place the hot squash mixture in a food processor or blender. Add greek yogurt, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth
- Place the mixture into a bowl and add 1 1/4 cup mozzarella or cheese of choice, all of the pecorino Romano, and 2 TBSP of the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir until combined.
- Cook pasta and then add it to the squash mixture and stir.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add panko and cook for 2 minutes , or until golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in remaining Parmigiana-Reggiano Cheese. Sprinkle over the hot pasta mixture and lightly coat with cooking spray
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until bubbly
Calories: 390 per serving. Fat: 10.9 g. Protein: 19.1 g. Carbohydrate: 53.9g. Fiber: 3.2g.