Healthy Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins
So I had a huge bag of strawberries that were going to go bad if I didn’t do something with them quickly. I decided to search Pinterest for a healthy recipe that called for lots of strawberries and found these healthy strawberry cheesecake muffins. I altered the recipe a tad to make them even HEALTHIER! They turned out great and I want to eat them all…
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups chopped strawberries (I used about 6 large ones)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together the egg, egg white, milk, oil, applesauce, honey, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in the strawberries and the lemon zest, reserving a tad to garnish later.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Whisk the ricotta in a small bowl until smooth. Add the ricotta to the muffin batter, using a rubber spatula to gently fold it in. Do not over mix! The ricotta should be in swirls
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray (or use liners) and fill the tins, leaving a 1/2 inch space at the top.
- Bake for 2-0 minutes, or until a pick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Garnish with remaining lemon zest